Once the Südschleife had left the dense fir forest of the first few kilometres behind, it was laid out over the next two kilometres or so across partly marshy meadows, which first had to be painstakingly drained by staff from R. Perthel & Co. of Cologne, the company responsible for this section of the works. After a few fast bends, which took the track past one of the many quarries used for the construction, the track continued straight on for several hundred metres towards Müllenbach. There, in the immediate vicinity of the village, a difficult-to-navigate 90-degree bend was constructed, which was to prove a major challenge, particularly for motorcyclists, in the decades that followed.
Shortly after this bend, at kilometre 4, a bridge was built to make the inner section of the Südschleife accessible from Müllenbach. At the same time, this underpass led to one of the three access points for tourist drives. These events, which still attract countless people to the Ring today, have in fact been held right from the start.
After the bridge, the track climbed again towards the start and finish line – we will read in the next two parts what special features the track offered up to that point.
ℹ️ The Nürburgring opened in 1927. As part of #Roadto100, we are looking back at various milestones in our long history in the run-up to our big anniversary year!



