After Nürburgring's grand opening during the worldwide depression, news from the racetrack brought constant new reports of new records set in the number of visiting spectators, at the latest starting with the era of the legendary Silver Arrows.
The Mercedes Team had spent the night before the race in the spring of 1934 personally scraping off the coat of paint with their hands in order to comply with the weight limit of 750 kilograms. The shining silver aluminum of the bear bodywork below was exposed, giving the vehicle its name. Nürburgring had long since established itself as the most popular German racetrack. During the Eifel race in 1939, Hermann Lang set a lap record with his twelve cylinder Mercedes at 9.52 minutes, which remained unbeaten until 1956. Rudolf Caracciola once again won the Grand Prix of Germany. For the time being, the last victory on the Ring.
During World War II, there was no room for motor sports – the Sport Hotel located at the grandstand was converted to makeshift housing and a hospital, the racetrack was severely damaged by tanks during the last months of the war.